ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION is a global crisis that affects all of us on a very local level – at the dining room table. Brand-new studies show that high levels of toxic chemicals are in our tuna salads, our green bean casseroles, and even our apple pies. They threaten our children’s development and put us at increased risk for heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. The good news is that you can still eat the food you love and reduce your exposure to these deadly poisons.
Below is a list of 8 food related toxins and tips on how to avoid them:
1. Pesticides. Organic food is raised without pesticides and chemical fertilizers. People who cannot afford to buy all organic produce can still reduce their exposure by 80% if they switch to organic when buying the foods with the most pesticide. Here is a list of the 15 foods with the most pesticide:
- cherry tomatoes
- peaches and nectarines
- sweet bell peppers
- corn-fed beef
2. BHA & BHT. These common processed food preservatives have been declared carcinogens by the International Agency for Research on Cancer. Check ingredient labels to avoid.
3. Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH). Given to cows to increase milk production, rBGH produces elevated levels of an insulin-like growth factor called IGF-1 in dairy products. IGF-1 has been linked to breast, prostate and colon cancers. Only choose organic or rBGH-free dairy products.
4. Sodium Aluminum Sulphate and Potassium Aluminum Sulphate. Found in processed cheese products, baked goods, and microwave popcorn, among other packaged goods, these ingredients are linked to adverse reproductive, neurological, behavioral, and developmental effects. Avoid by reading food labels.
5. Bisphenol-A (BPA). Hormone-mimicker found in food and beverage can linings suspected of promoting breast and prostate cancer. Do not buy canned food or drinks.
6. Sodium Nitrate. Dangerous toxin linked to many types of cancer used to preserve processed meats, cold cuts, salami, and bacon. Kids and adults love bacon and Americans eat way too much which is likely the reason for high rates of colon cancer. Only buy uncured bacon and avoid the rest.
7. Hydrocarbons. These carcinogens are created when fat is burned by flames or very high heat. Pre-cook grillables and finish over low flame.
8. Artificial Food Coloring. Ubiquitous chemicals linked to neurological disorders like ADHD. Read labels and avoid totally.
9. Mercury. Mercury poisoning from fish is even more threatening to children because it bio-accumulates in fat, blood and tissue. The more mercury contaminated fish eaten as child the more mercury in the adult. Limit children from eating fish more than once a week and if possible, make it wild salmon. Adults should only eat fish twice a week.
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT UNFRAZZLE?